Craving braised beef noodle soup but can't be bothered to go to a restaurant or order takeout? Use the magic of a few ingredients and an Instant Pot to make your dreams come true! This broth fuses the flavors of American Ginseng, citrus, cinnamon, and star anise and tender beef to create a flavorful broth; you don't need to wait hours to eat. Make a big batch and have a dish ready to serve friends and family - or freeze it for the next time you crave noodle soup, which could be as soon as your next meal!
- 3 lbs beef shank
- 6 cloves, crushed
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, smashed
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp soybean paste
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 6 cups water
- 6-8 pieces of Prince of Peace® American Ginseng Slices
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 dried tangerine peel, rehydrated and with the whites removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cooked noodles
- Leafy greens
- Scallions, chopped
- Cut the beef shank into chunks and place them into a large pot.
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover the beef.
- Bring the water to a boil, and then drain the water out of the pot.
- Rinse the beef until the water runs clean, and then set the meat aside.
- On the Instant Pot, turn on the "Saute" function and wait until the inner liner is hot.
- Add two tablespoons of cooking oil to the inner pot.
- Once the oil heats up, add the 3 cloves of garlic and smashed ginger and stir for 15 seconds to incorporate the flavor into the oil.
- Add the beef to the pot and sear the pieces on all sides to seal in the flavors of the meat.
- Add the following ingredients to the pot: soybean paste, Shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, water, Prince of Peace® American Ginseng Slices, sugar, cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves, tangerine peel, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Close the lid and seal the vent.
- Set the Instant Pot to “pressure cook” on high.
- After 40 minutes, allow the pressure to fully release naturally (not a quick release).
- Serve the delicious beef soup with cooked noodles, leafy greens, and scallions for an enjoyable meal!